Friday, May 23, 2014

E-I-E-I-Ooh!

James asks:
Hey Beth, I really like using my juicer but the fresh veggies are so expensive.  Farmer's markets seem great, but they seem to only be open while I'm at work.  How can I keep up the juicing without going broke?
From a local orchard, the largest apples I have ever seen.

If you know you'll be eating lots of fruits and vegetables, it may be worth it to look into a CSA:  Community Supported Agriculture.  It is like a subscription service for produce.  You choose the amount of food you want (usually measured in 'shares' which can vary in size from farm to farm), pay up front for what you'll be getting and then go and pick up your produce on a weekly or bi-weekly basis (depending on the farm).

Unlike farmer's markets, you won't decide exactly what you will be getting but it is a great opportunity to try new foods!

To find local places near you, check out Local Harvest.

No comments:

Post a Comment